Not broken hearts of dating relationships and sappy crushes. No I'm talking about the love of the places you go and the people you see.
I've gone to the South. I left a piece of my heart there. I've gone to the North. I left a piece of my heart there too. East, West, South, and North. I've been all directions and left pieces of my heart in every direction.
They say not to give your heart away. Keep it whole you can't love with a broken heart is the advice given out.
I believe in breaking your heart. Maybe not on purpose, because who intends to let their heart be broken. Afterwards though when the chunk has been ripped from your heart you are better person.
Because you loved.
Because people loved you back.
Because you saw things you never saw before and will never forget.
Because people said things to you that changed your life.
And when it was over you were left with a broken heart.
When I was young and naive I thought I could never love another place besides my homeland. Surely there was nothing better besides open spaces and blowing prairie grass. I had friends and I had family and I had church, but I didn't know what I was missing.
Until I made a decision and left. Not because I was frustrated or found my home useless. No it was time to try something new.
It wasn't love at first sight. Sometimes making new friends is awkward. Sometimes you have to tell yourself to be there instead of somewhere else. Sometimes your not sure how to be yourself in a new place and then you find yourself being more of yourself then you ever were before.
It doesn't take long "and love takes you in and everything changes". Que Steven Curtis Chapman in the background. Excuse the cheesy moment please.
You have fallen in love and you can't imgaine another place that could be anymore perfect then this.
Then it happens. The road starts to bend and you realize its going a different way then you thought. And you realize your heart is being broken and you can hardly bear the pain.
Its a "wonderfully terrible thing" to have your heart broken. (thanks liz )
Breaking of a heart means there was love. No broken heart. No love. Nothing would be more terrible then not having love in your life and all the pain that comes with love.
Strangely love is the most beautiful feeling and yet sometimes the most awful feeling ever felt.
The only really consoling fact about leaving a place you love is the anticipation of knowing in the next place your going to grow your world even bigger.
Go see new places.
Meet new people.
Love them with all of your being and your not going to regret a single thing.
3 comments:
i love this. good summation AND expansion of our late night chat. Thanks for sharing your heart, friend!
Amen!
This is good, Bethanne, and applies to SO many areas of life not just dating. There was this poem on risk that I had in high school...the last line says, "Only he who risks is truly free." Whenever you move, or make a decision to love, or try an new task there is some element of risk involved. But without the risk, there would be no personal growth. To avoid a broken heart, you will never be vulnerable....and there is so much one will miss.
Post a Comment