Friday, February 28, 2014

Choose

She would always choose joy.

She would choose to smile and not just any smile, but a smile that would lit up her whole face and made her eyes sparkle.

She would choose to look me in the eye and show love through her smile.

She did not choose to have the crippling sickness of MS.

Later on she did not choose to have cancer.

She did not choose to spend years of her life in health care with people who were years and years older than her.

She did not choose to give up control of her body.

Still, she always would choose joy.

When our friendship began we talked and shared our joys through words. My life season changed and there was rarely time to visit, but I when I did she always remembered me.

Then we couldn't talk. I did the talking and guessing and wished I could read lips.

It was difficult and tedious, but still she was choosing joy.

She was a woman of God. She influenced my life, because she would choose joy.

One choice that would affect so many.

I'm not ever going to see that smile again on this side of heaven. 

I'm thankful to have known this woman and I mourn my own personal loss, but rejoice in her gain of eternity.

Tomorrow I want to choose joy just like she did.

Five Minute Friday

5 comments:

bluecottonmemory said...

A long time ago I was in nursing - and took care of a woman who had MS. She was in a nursing home - and all she wanted to do was get better so she could go home and take care of her little girl. My heart broke for her. You gave your friend a precious gift - living in relationship:) I think that is so important - and that is what this woman really, really missed - was the relationship.

Anonymous said...

this was really beautiful... heartbreaking, yet so hopefully beautiful. What a gift she was to you, and I'm sure you to her.

Louisa Singer said...

Very beautiful, Bethanne. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost her! :(
I'm praying for you!

Colleen said...

I have a friend who has chosen joy in very similar circumstances, and like you, I too have found joy by her example. Thank you so much for sharing this touching post!

Anonymous said...

Choosing joy has a lot to do with trusting a sovereign God in the heartaches of life...and looking away from the suffering to Him. Not easy for a person to do! It is indeed, an active CHOICE. ;)