Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Oh the Weather Outside...

Hello this is your resident diarist. I shall tell you all what I'm am doing today in case you wanted to know.

12:30 am. Finally go to sleep. My ice block of a nose was keeping me awake. My poor nostrils were not adapting very well to the sudden weather change.

6:01 am. Wrap yourself in wool coat, hat, scarf, snow boots and charge out into the Siberia like weather. Oh there is something about having an adventure. Even if the adventure is only across the parking lot and the drifts barely touch your knees. Still I might as well have been scaling Mt. Everest for the thrill it gave me.

6:57 am. Serving breakfast late to the very starving guys who have been out tirelessly shoveling snow. I'm sure their valiant efforts will spare us all from getting lost in piles of snow.

11:41 am. Listening to Christmas music and pretending that today is Christmas Eve. There is cocoa to be drunk by the fire and white elephant gifts under the tree.

12:36 pm. Eating bowl of steaming chili for lunch. I used to loath chili, because one rather large pot would last our family several meals in one week. Usually mom would make chili once a week in the winter but never in the spring or supper, so we (and our bodies) could have a reprieve from chili. I love chili these days, especially my mom's chili. 

3:13 pm. Sipping black chia tea with a bit of milk and memorizing James. Snowy days were made for tea...well every day was made for tea in my opinion.

4:37 pm. The guys are grilling steaks for supper. Weather doesn't stop us from having a good meal.

Secretly I'm in love with this April blizzard. Its the tantalizing excitement of being brave enough to face the cold. Also there is the firm hope that by next week this snow will be nothing, but a dim memory and we will be running barefoot in the mud puddles.

We are thankful. The snow is wet and we hope every bit of this freezing messiness will mean less fires this summer.


Yours Truely,
A girl with a very cold nose that is beginning to rival Rudolph's.

No comments: