And this case has made me think...about me. The baby whom my mother brought into the world at 44 years of age. After she had grown children. After she had already birthed several children.
After she had all the children she ever needed. After the time her body had passed the optimum time for bearing children.
After all good reasoning said you should not have a child.
People find out how old my sister is and old I am. They wonder if I was the surprise. The caboose. All just fancy words for asking if you were the "oops child".
"Were you the child whom God wasn't supposed too in His sovereignty place into this world?"
Sometimes I feel like thats what their asking. Which is probably the extreme, but still.
True its awkward thing to be an "age gap child". Fighting between wondering if you fit in best with the grandchildren or your older siblings. Trying to ignore the fact that family gatherings are sometimes just plain awkward. Laughing about the fact your parents are older then your friends grandparents.
Does it mean its really so wrong to be born on what is considered to be a strange time table.
My mother told me how happy she was when she found out I was coming. She told me I was not the surprise, but part of God's timing.
I'm not writing that I'm God's gift to this world and its a wonderful thing that I'm here when I should not have been.
I'm writing about the babies whose mommies looked at the risk of having a child in their 40s and decided it was too much. Papers were signed and IV's inserted and then life was gone. I wonder how those mommies are doing now. Are they healthy? Are doing okay emotionally? Are their lives better today because of what happened legally in a clinic?
Something tells me their not.
I'm writing about those babies who have yet to be conceived. The babies that still have a chance at this world. Babies who need a voice and a fighter as they silently grow in the womb.
I'm writing for the women who are going to need someone to say that they will be supported in their decision to choose life. Someone who will walk the road with them. Tell them that they don't have to choose death. Tell them that God's grace is more then enough for facing an unplanned pregnancy.
And I the child who wasn't supposed to be born wants to do something to tell them.
Its about giving soft wrinkly babies a chance at this world. Its about giving the broken, hope.
Its about telling the world of God's grace.
We know, so why should we not share what we know to a lost and hurting world?
2 comments:
Good post Bethanne. As you know this subject is dear to my heart as well. It grieves me when I hear any child referred to as a "mistake" or an "accident" or when people don't rejoice with an expectant mother because they think she is too young, too old, or already has too many kids. Every life is a gift from God!
Holly Friesen
Thank you, Beth.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment