Monday, December 8, 2008

A Different Kind of Friend

Saturday I had the privilege of attending our first Christmas gathering. Really this was my grandma’s cousins, however through the years my mom’s cousins started coming. And since I go everywhere with mom I was there as well. I probably “hang out” around the “older” generation more than most young folks my age. While I pretend to complain about my lack of socialization, I secretly enjoy it.

Everyone warmly gave their greetings to me when I arrived. Compliments were passed out on my hairstyle “that made me look older”:). Some wondered if perhaps I was on a diet do to the fact I just picked at the main dishes. Truth was I was saving room for the chocolate. Yes, Nestle chocolate straight from Switzerland! Life doesn’t get any better. Oh those truffles are the best; I must say I ate my fair share. You must be proud of me that I resisted the urge to stash some away in my purse to take home:).

Then there were the door prizes, being the only person under 50 I got to draw the number. So I promptly drew my own:).

What can I say, I may have more friends over 60 than under 20 but it sure does have its perks:). Me thinks that I have a very special bonus that most teenagers don’t have. Dinning and laughing with people who will listen to my life then tell me about theirs. Then we will laugh together and talk about how good the Lord is. Seniors and chocolate truffles make a splendid combination I do dare say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A person is rich who has friends from different cultures and different generations.

Serena Smith said...

I can totally identify with you, Bethanne! Being the about the youngest one in my profession is typical and some of my closest friends are ones who are 2-3 times my age. There's not an event or quilt show that I can go to and just about always win the "youngest one attending award"! But, it's-oh-so-wonderful to have all those ladies as friends! :)