Christmas Eve for me is even more special than Christmas day. The night St. Nick is zooming around the earth on his sleigh we are already being given our gifts. Christmas eve is as Traditional as Fiddler on the Roof's "Tradition.
Morning and afternoon is pretty much a normal farm work day for the household. I stir up eggnog while listening to "A Christmas Carol". Tradition was strict when it came to supper, sub sandwiches is the meal enjoyed every year. My brothers prepared the meal while mom and I wrapped last minute presents. We would linger over the very simple yet delirious meal. One year the talk was of the family Christmas present. The boys had been informed of the gift and talked about till I almost cried. Finally when I was informed I was appalled to learn it would be clippers to cut the boys hair with. To this day I haven't even been allowed to touch the clippers:)
Following the meal dad shares a devotional and the Christmas story. A few times I even obliged my family with special music. A tradition long since given up:)
Mom never uses wrapping paper, bags fashioned out of Christmas fabric sewn by mother herself hold gifts nicely. There was always the family bag, filled with an assortment of gifts, where we would each take turns reaching in and pulling something out. Two of the more memorable gifts I remember was the beautiful rocker still cold from being hidden in the Garage. Heida my "last doll" mom told me, accompanied me everywhere for many Christmas to come. Dressed always in the latest fashions from mom's sewing machine.
The real fun came after the bottom of the tree was emptied. I brought out the eggnog topped with fresh whipped cream and dusted with nutmeg. Our traditional Chex Mix, cheese ball, and other goodies, made for quite a succulent feast! Our plates filled we would sit back and watch "It's a Wonderful Life". Laughing at all the punch lines as if we had never heard them.
Before I went to bed in my new pajamas my brothers and I would see the night out playing games. Listening to the Christmas songs of old.
Every Christmas Eve I remember going to bed so happy. I had spent the day with family to me that was the best Christmas present ever. Twas the night before Christmas that found our family laughing, talking, and enjoying one another.
No comments:
Post a Comment