There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Now my friends are dead and gone.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Now my friends are dead and gone.
Les Miserables
Hustle and bustle of meal time. Making sure everyone's coffee stays hot. Making sure that everyone has their favorite juice and whatever else they may need.
In the corner sits a table that once was full, but now there is a empty chair. Vacated only so recently that the chair almost still seems to hold warmth.
Another spot empty. Another hole. Another piece of my heart taken away.
When your old and weary death is somewhat expected, but just because someone is "old enough to die" doesn't mean I don't miss how their personality touched my life.
All I know of these people is how they are at their end of their life. Aged and tired, but still full of love for the things they have always loved.
"A person is a person, no matter how small "
Dr. Seuss
Sometimes I want to scream that a person is a person no matter how old. Maybe they don't hear they way they used too. Maybe they say forward things to you like "how many boyfriends do you have?" (notice the plural form ). Maybe they can't see and maybe they give you too much detail about their health problems.
Maybe we can stop and see beyond what we see presently. To see the person in their youth working hard toward their life's goal. To see how that person lived through a important part of history. To see how that person loved their family. To see how that person struggled and ached through life just how as we are now doing.
Maybe I can remember that its the disease and age is making the elderly person act almost as a child, but they still deserve the respect of someone who is 60 years older than I.
And its those people the one's some would say have nothing left to give to this life...they are the ones who touch my heart. They are the ones who give me small pieces of wisdom.
And when I see their empty chair a lump in my throat rises and I mourn that the sun has once again on a very rich and full life of someone I knew.
Maybe I can remember that its the disease and age is making the elderly person act almost as a child, but they still deserve the respect of someone who is 60 years older than I.
And its those people the one's some would say have nothing left to give to this life...they are the ones who touch my heart. They are the ones who give me small pieces of wisdom.
And when I see their empty chair a lump in my throat rises and I mourn that the sun has once again on a very rich and full life of someone I knew.
1 comment:
Thank you for sharing from your heart. You can put into words what we think.
Post a Comment