Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Cook's Diary

Thanksgiving dinner seemed to be a rousing success this year. Actually it felt a little blah all that planning and cooking devoured in sixty minutes? No worries though, we had plenty of leftovers. I've already made two different turkey dishes. Just for fun here is a little run down on my preparations for Thanksgiving day.

Wednesday Afternoon
Accomplishments for the day were making the #10 of potatoes. A sweet potato dish, 2 pies and gravy. I also cleaned house and made peppernuts with my cousin. At 4:30 I'm feeling very thankful that mom is bringing pizza for supper. Five o'clock, I'm reflecting on the glorious sunset. I feel filled with peace. Later that evening after the Thanksgiving service my brother Ben is home for the holiday's. He compliment's on my outfit. Yes I know he's the best.

Thanksgiving morning.

I rise and drink my protein smoothie, must have energy today! I exercise on my trampoline while watching how to cook turkeys on Good morning America. This was important. The exercise part that is, who knows how many calories I consumed on turkey day. By now the time has come to put our eighteen pound bird in the oven. Wednesday morning I had soaked it in a salt brine to ensure juiciness. I put two gallons of brine over the bird I estimated to my brother that it weighed forty pounds. I implored him to carry it to the kitchen from the basement fridge. He muttered that it was very heavy. As I'm preparing the turkey for the oven I'm struck by the thought that garlic would be a lovely edition. Mom picks it fresh from the garden in Martha Stewart style. My dear brother washes and minces it for me. Twenty minutes later the kitchen smells very Italian. Ben reminds me that he told me not to put on too much garlic.

I spend the rest of the morning lounging around and plugging in crackpots. Everyone is eating and passing out compliments by twelve thirty. I feel thankful for such a gracious family:) Everyone found room for at least two pieces of pie (small of course).

No one has complained yet about the abundance of turkey dishes I'm serving. Interestingly enough mom and I found a turkey on sale. So the dishes won't be ending anytime soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was all very delicious!! Thank you! :)