Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day; The day I Knew God was in Control


My heart felt heavy as I prepared for bed. Certainly I felt that Obama would be the next president of United Sates. Not for a moment did I doubt the power of God. Yes still He could put a righteous leader in power. Sadness overwhelmed me though as I thought of the implications of having Obama as president. Would the dark speculations of people come true?
I turned to Psalm 37, the words could not be more timely for Christians in the United states. Doubt of God and His power that lies in your heart will quickly be removed. Wicked shall be overthrown and the righteous will reign. Suddenly I was filled with joy. I have an eternity to look forward to with my Lord Jesus Christ. What can a season of hardships do to me? Nothing! I knew I have a challenge. I must proclaim the word of God with my month. Telling those around me where real hope lies. Politicians will only be around for season. I may not be here all that much longer either. However my Lord Jesus Christ will always be waiting for His people to turn to Him. Such a responsibility was given to me to share that news. We are called for a much higher purpose then to whine about politics. Joy should be ours as we look toward to our eternal reward.

The LORD knows the days of the blameless,
And their inheritance will be forever.
Psalms 37:18

Deep was the sleep that I was awoken out of at 2:30 am. I wondered upstairs and turned on the TV. Obama had won. Anger filled my heart as before. I had to plead forgiveness to my Lord. Later I lay in bed sleep would not visit me. Instead I prayed. I don't remember what I prayed, just that I prayed. More that ever our nation needs prayer. Thousands upon thousands voted for Obama. Prayers must be sent in those same numbers. Our new president will need them whether he thinks it or not. Pray for our new president and his family. Pray for our nation. Pray for are other leaders in authority over us. Pray for the church that they will turn to God in prayer.

O LORD, hear my prayer,
listen to my cry for mercy;
in your faithfulness and righteousness
come to my relief.
Psalm 143:1

Photo Caption: Beautiful sunrise displaying God's glory the morning after election day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what an awesome post...and perspective Bethanne! It is downright scary to think of the future of our nation. Yet, with the Lord in control, we have nothing to fear...in fact, we have His face to look forward to seeing, perhaps very soon!! :)