Friday, December 5, 2014

Dear Christmas: Five minute Friday

Dear Christmas,

You came so unexpectedly this year. I'm not sure where the months went but all of the sudden people were putting up trees and talking of buying gifts. And dear Christmas let me be honest with you, I was not excited to see your arrival which might show the age of my years, but I just cannot help it.

Its hard to be excited about Christmas when people are sick and dying in Africa.

Its hard to get excited when children are dying because they believe in God.

People are rioting in the streets and you wonder where the peace on earth as gone too.

So dear Christmas I just cannot find a lot to be excited about but I can find a lot to be sad about.

This is why the Savior came. Long ago things were probably just as dismal if not more so, but peace on earth came to man in the form of a Savior.

Little children died after Jesus was born. There was mourning and weeping. Trouble did not stop, but there was hope. Hope of a Savior who would one day forever remove the pain and rule the world.

We still have this hope and so this Christmas in the midst of this chaotic world I would celebrate the assurance of Christ.

3 comments:

S said...

i sort of felt that way of about Christmas sneaking up on me. It did seem to or has seemed to this year. You are right that there is so much to be sad about, but let's take on that heart of a child and take joy in all the beauty of Christ here and now. We have a lot to celebrate. Sort of like the lady who anointed Jesus' feet. Jesus answered that idea of the poor and that they would always be with you, but the celebration of Him now is always for us to do.

Cynthia Stuckey said...

Love this. It's so true. Trouble has been and trouble will be, but through it all we have Hope-- in and through Christ. Love this post. Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Hope. That's my word. That's the thing that keeps us going through all the other that is so very difficult. Thanks for your honesty.