She talks constantly. A chatter box. Talking a mile a minute. However it never gets annoying.
She will put me down in the most blunt of terms.
She will put ideas in my head of things that will probably never happen.
She will talk about my fears and I will listen intently even though listening will only morph the fears into something catastrophic.
She will talk to me about my dreams and after awhile it seems those dreams will become a reality when in actuality it is impossible for the dreams to happen.
She is the who talks to me most and the person who I will never fail to listen too, even when I shouldn't.
She, is the person who I talk about in the 3rd person as if she was another person different from myself.
She is me.
All day long I think thoughts and I listen to them.
No one is more influential in your life than you are, because no one talks to you as much as you talk to yourself.
The things I think in my head are words I would never even want to utter someone, but I tell them and think them to myself. I listen to myself, and my attitude changes reflective of the negative thoughts.
No one has every looked me straight in the eye and said, "your a failure"! But those are words I have told myself after I messed up.
A moment of frustration and wishing I could do it over. A moment to make a choice.
A choice to keep on talking to myself about my failures or to change the subject to God's grace.
To switch the conversation of reminding myself that yes I fell, but God forgives. God gives strength and by His grace next time I will lean on Him instead of falling.
Maybe it was a simple mistake. A careless error. A goal that was broken.
Failing is an opportunity to learn, and that is the conversation I need to have with myself.
Here's the question: how wholesome, faith-driven, and Christ-centered is the conversation that you have with yourself every day? Do you remind yourself of your need? Do you point yourself once again to the beauty and practicality of God's grace? Do you tell yourself to run toward him in those moments when you feel like running from him?
Whenever my mom and I talk about deep heart struggles she will often say to me, "what would you tell someone else to do if they came to you with that problem"?
More than likely not I would not advise her to constantly think about her problem and dwell on her faults, but instead do something to change.
Change starts in the brain. Renewing the mind with scripture and prayer.
I will always talk to myself, for after all I am a woman. I can chose to change the subject to glorify God rather than glorifying myself by thinking self centered thoughts
I find it hard to change the subject, but when I do I find easier to find the real importance of life...
God alone.
1 comment:
This is beautiful, Bethanne! It is amazing how much God has been showing me the past few days that I need to change my thought life. First I read a book that had the verse Philippians 4:8 in it, then I was confronted about the fact that I dwell too much on things that aren't true. Then Alanna posted something on facebook asking what our goals are for our thought lives. Now this! God is amazing! Thank you! :) ♥
Post a Comment