I had forgotten.
I had forgotten the pang in my heart. The feeling of helplessness. The feeling of wanting to make the pain go away.
They were distant memories that in the rush of life I had pushed to the back of my mind.
I would drive by myself to the city in the old broken down car which you could hear coming a mile away. I would find a parking spot that would seem safe and rush inside quickly.
The building was made to look cheerful, but it all felt so fake and cold. It did not resemble the children's homes from the books, but still it was a children's home.
I babysat little children while their foster moms got a little break. I would look into sweet little eyes and read books to attentive ears. I would nestle infants in my arms and rock them as they slept.
The police were always there it seemed, bringing a new child. I heard the wails of the little ones. It was all to new, strange, and scary for them. I overheard the workers talking as they checked for bruises.
Sometimes they would ask the children question about events, but it is difficult for a child to talk about such things.
Just a few short hours and than I would get back in my clunker of a car drive back to a home that had always been nothing but stable
I feel like in my brief volunteering I touched only a small splinter of the foster care world.
The splinter is embedded in me now and festers my heart. I can't forget the small amount of pain I saw nor am I willing too.
The fatherless. The children who only know how to abuse. The children who were born with drugs pulsing through their veins. The children who will do everything possible to destroy any act of love you show them.
The children who are desperately needing love.
These are the children who will grow up. Girls will think they have found love only to be told that now their job is to sell themselves. For some in and out of jail will a routine. Diplomas will not be earned and good jobs will not be had.
Adults whose worlds were destroyed as children will attempt destroy the worlds of others.
Care for the fatherless...
I had pushed these uncomfortable thoughts to a corner of mind till I watched this video.
And I was reminded again, to find a way to love.
Watch it. The 12 minutes and 47 seconds will be a good use of your time. From every account I have read, and I have read many, this video is displaying the harsh reality of what foster care is.
Which means some of the scenes are violent and horrible.
ReMoved from HESCHLE on Vimeo.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing this BA.
I can't imagine.
Post a Comment