One year ago life was changing and I didn't comprehend at the time what all was happening.
I woke up on Monday morning in a city where I didn't live and with people I didn't usually see. My brain was buzzing with all the events of the weekend and I was beginning to wonder if the Bachelor's degree I had never hungrily sought would become my reality after all. And I was excited for that idea.
That day we drove and drove until we reached home in the cold of the night.
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Three days and I hardly remember them. I think I was doing all those things you do after a trip trying to get back into life. I just remember trying to think about making decisions for the future and also knowing the calm before the storm would soon be ending. Grandma had not been doing well for awhile and it was only a matter of time.
When my alarm went off Friday morning at the 5:38 am (someone of us need every extra minute of sleep). I checked my e-mail first thing and I knew that a lot was going to change that day. The nurse said grandma was dying and it would be soon. When 5:38 am came 24 hours later I was walking through security and preparing to board my flight home. In the space of 24 hours I had found out my last grandparent was gone, packed my bag, told my friends, had coffee with a friend, picked out clothes for a funeral, and gotten a few hours of sleep.
When I wake up on Monday morning I don't know what the week is going to hold. I may or may not have had a fantastic weekend. Maybe I had a restful Sunday and maybe I didn't. Maybe I worshiped God Sunday morning and worshiped my own personal idols in the afternoon.
When Sunday happens we don't know what will happen on Monday. Maybe it will be okay to just slide through the day and skip church get a little extra sleep. Maybe it will be okay for me to watch my favorite movies all day and lose my mind in something else rather than God's Word.
Rest does not have to happen on Sundays. Sometimes life will keep Sunday from being a restful day of renewal, but that rest needs to happen sometime. I can only go so long before I crash. My mind needs the unhurried time in devotion and mediation.
And no its not wrong to relax by reading the favorite book or watching the favorite show on Sunday or any other day.
Perhaps its the fact, that do I always rest and fill my needs with something other than God?
When that crazy week comes I need to be ready, but I'm not going to know when the crazy week will come. Maybe I anticipate the storm, but I will never know the fierceness till it hits.
A practice of taking time to rest is never going to hurt, because I never know when the Monday is going to dawn with the week I didn't expect to happen.
Monday is coming and I wonder if I am ready...
Thoughts inspired by several of my amazing classes this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment