The unexpected. Life often throws something completely different at us than our plans. Often its challenging to adjust but by God's grace we make it. We walk through the rough dreary days to be able to step out into the sunshine and laugh. The unexpected quite uncomfortable at times. and other times so much better than the expected.
I expected to have Bible study and supper with 4 of my friends the other night. I never would have guessed the unexpected was coming.
My hand touched the door knob and opened the door to the family room. Unexpectedly my ears were greeted with "surprise"! The exuberant group of girls broke into celebratory song of "Happy Birthday". Slowly it began to sink in. Nearly all of friends from our church fellowship were there for a surprise birthday party for me. Cameras were flashing and I couldn't find a thing to say. Never in my entire life had I received something so unexpected.
Let me pause here before the party commences to tell you I was absolutely thrilled to be surprised. I always thought it was the most romantic thing to be given a surprise party, just like the books. Yet I never thought it would happen because of my keen sense of awareness. As I assured my friends many times I was completely caught off guard! On another note without knowing my friends had thwarted my own plans for a party. I planned to host a birthday party for me but determined to let the birthday part remain secret. If I thought I was going to be sly my niece Abi was even more so:) Now for some details for those who would like to hear.
As my brain started functioning again I began to remember what a mess I looked! Oh was I glad that I discovered at home that my shirt was on backwards:) But I didn't care because the first event of the evening was being announced.
The stage was given to me for my very own cooking show. I would be baking my own birthday cake! Without a recipe no less.
Normally very talkative I think I was too in shock to be thinking about baking a cake. Nerveless I added what I was sure was of the staple ingredients and lots of baking powder was added to ensure that it would rise. I dumped in a rather extravagant amount of vanilla for flavor. Making sure as well to put in a good dose of chocolate:) While the cake baked we were divided into teams and sent on a digital scavenger hunt. Our main goal was to take pictures of the detailed ideas given to us. Among the more challenging one's was catching the 5 very petrified kittens so they might be photographed in one place.
Capturing three girls bathing in a tub was easier once we found a real claw foot tub instead of the stock tank. Our group picture proved to test our flexibility yet didn't score many points with the judge.
After the other team was declared the winner everyone got to sample my cake. My niece said it was best eaten with ice cream on the side. I'm thinking someone put a little too much vanilla in:) Gratefully there were brownies to suffice our chocolate desires.
A plethora of fun had been enjoyed but before the party dispensed my nephew insisted my gifts should be opened. So many pairs of earrings were added to my jewelry box that I think I may need to get my nose pierced to show case them all. Just kidding mom!
Chocolate is always a sure favorite of mine but I found the cards to be the very best gifts. I'm savoring the very lovingly written notes, reading only one or two at a time.
Words can't express the love I felt. I came home and just wanted to cry from the overwhelming feeling of gratefulness. I'm not any more perfect or special than any of my other friends. On the contraire I'm just the opposite at times. Yet my friends took time and effort to bless me in a very special way. It reminded me so much of God's grace so undeserving are we of it. Yet God expects to take it on our knees as we worship Him
My precious friends I love you. Your love was shown to me in the most unexpected way. Whenever I think of my 19th birthday in coming years I'll remember the friends who showed me the love of God.
1 comment:
We did it!! We surprised you!=)
It was so much fun to throw a party for you. Love you too,
Abi
Post a Comment