Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Irish Cooking

I'm wearing my one and only green shirt today because of the Irish holiday. In honor of the dear old saint I got up at 6:00 this morning to fix us some Irish scones. Now really all I need is some red locks and I can have people "kiss me because I'm Irish". Thankfully I'm not Irish and even if I were you can be sure they wouldn't be kissin me now would they? Imagine an Irish borough coming through.


Irish Soda scones were just the start of my Irish cooking today. Irish stew is simmering away for supper. Minus the lamb because I heard "Little Bo Peep" too often growing up. Missing also that good Irish whiskey because I believe in temperance. I also believe in substituting where needed so I put in a can of good old American root beer. I hope mother doesn't find out till after supper. I do hope it turns out, I think its a little too soon for another cooking disaster.

We used not to be Irish, as long as it was green it counted as a dish to be served for the celebratory meal. Unfortunately this included spinach however most gratefully there was pistachio pudding for dessert. Not to be consumed until the spinach was eaten. One fateful St. Pa tricks day I couldn't seem to keep the slimy spinach down after swallowing it whole. The lime jello, green of course, suddenly found it self covered in already eaten spinach. Perhaps I should have warned you in case you were just finishing your corned beef in cabbage.

The memory remains vivid to this St Patrick's day. Now we are a bit more gourmet and I'd like to think more traditional with the meal. Corned beef and cabbage is accompanied by the above mentioned soda bread. Fresh squeezed limeade is served along with peas. No spinach allowed!

We may be pure bred Mennonite but don't say didn't try our best to be red headed Irish men.

So I wish you a top of the afternoon and if nothing else do at least have mint ice cream for supper.

No comments: