Friday, March 27, 2009

Giggle + Giggle = Girl Time

March 27, afternoon

Warning: If there be any male readers don't bother wasting your time for it will only make you become very frustrated at the opposite sex. If you do dare read I offer no explanation for the following behavior described only that it is completely natural.

I can hear the plink of the ice has its hits the windows. I'm glad to be in our cozy house next to the woodstove. The vegetable soup from dinner is still keeping me warm. When I get cold again I think it will be time for a tea party. Sadly the ice will spoil my plans for a little girl time tonight. But that’s okay because the company of females has been enjoyed plentifully this week by me.

First you see there was the party where I just knew it was going to lovely as soon as I drove up the Bradford tree lined lane of my friend's house. Blossoming trees in full spring bloom no less. We giggled and talked over Mexican food and chocolate fudge. Conversing while sitting at a round table, very elegant I thought. Between shared glances of radiant smiles I gazed out the tall French doors past the deck and looked at the lush green of the wheat crop covering the surrounding fields like an emerald valley.
Lovely, just lovely.

Until we were interrupted out of our secret sharing reverie taking place in the darkness of night on the trampoline, by a rather horrid looking ghost mask worn by a very naughty boy. Since we were girls we screamed loud enough to be heard in the next county. Scared us right out of our flip flops.

But that’s okay because there were 5 girls (strength in numbers) who walked each other to our perspective cars after a rather sad adieu.


That was only the beginning however.


I don't know how all the silliness started after church. I think it had something to do with trying to keep warm while standing in a tight circle. Swaying seemed to help, yes a circle of 11 swaying girls going in the same direction. The boys thought it was slightly odd.

Presently the form of movement grew boring so we decided to pop up and down one at a time in quick fashion.

Now the boys were really staring at us.

Such frivolous activity soon found its end for a new much more purposeful game was brought to light. Let me explain, it was like Musical chairs, only with no chairs, lots of slapping of hands, and singing. Makes perfect since doesn't it? The game of course couldn't be played without a good deal of jollity. By now the boys were so shocked and perhaps even embarrassed at our behavior they pretended not to notice. Except for occasional applause at our “singing”. Then we were embarrassed.


So we laughed until others compelled us to return home. I danced beneath the moon with my friend giggling away feel altogether entirely too silly. I drank it all in, longing to fill the dry dessert of my soul. Parched from so many times of loneliness and tears. Now distant memories erased by the shared laugh and touch of a friend.


The smile remained on my lips days later, the memory new just as if it were yesterday. Sadness only felt when I remembered my friends weren't by my side. But they will be again perhaps here on earth but most assuredly in heaven. Beautiful laughter will be shared every moment then.

No comments: