Sunday, June 14, 2009

Gone...but only from Our Sight

I watched as the hearse slowly pulled out of our driveway. Grandma was leaving what had been her home for the last several years for the last time. In truth she had left hours before when took her last breath and at long last met her Savior face to face. Her body in deteriorating shape was no longer a prison but now only shell; having served grandma very well during her 96 years of life.

I felt very selfish during the days and hours following that beautiful Sunday morning. I wished to see grandma's face light up once more as I stopped in for a visit. I wanted to scoop up the frail hand and let's its warmth fill my heart one more time. Times like those are gone now. Sorrow and joy are left in their place. Lots of joy.

How can we help but rejoice. I imagine that grandma's smile never leaves her face now. Grandma is running with the children that left this earth before they could even be named. There is the One who knew grandma better than any of us. Grandma sought after Him her whole life always looking for a opportunity to follow the Lord's command. Whether it was passing out tracks with her home baked cookies on Halloween. Serving faithfully for years at the Source of Light Bible Correspondence school. Or just the chance to worship with other believers. Grandma now is spending every possible moment with the Lord she longed for all her life. Just the tinniest thought of what Grandma is doing now makes me happy. Yet there is sorrow.

Moments are long gone of stories shared from the past. I miss eating the yummy bakery items from her fridge. Late night visits because everyone else was in bed I found very comforting. Good night kisses were the best because I rarely got them anywhere else. Grandma was notorious for frugal ways. Living through depression meant grandma knew how to make the most of everything.

At first glance it may have appeared grandma lived a life of not enough, but that is what the world would see. Riches, grandma had more wealth than most her age. When grandma slipped away to glory 10 children, 48 grandchildren, and 95 great grandchildren mourned her death. Grandpa who waited patiently 2 years to marry his bride welcomed grandma along with 2 of the children gone before.

Memento's to remember grandma have been bestowed on us but it's just stuff that one day we too shall leave. No the real treasure is vibrantly living and breathing. Carrying on grandma's legacy until we shall meet triumphantly meet in the clouds.

A christian legacy means more than looking back and remembering the blessings of our loved one's life; it also means looking ahead and recognizing that our loved one has gone before us and given us a pathway of faith to follow.
Roy Lessin


Grandma enjoying breakfast with one of her great granddaughter's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This is a blessed precious time, even though sad.

Thanks for helping us care for Grandma.

Mom