Thursday, February 12, 2009

To Have and to Hold



I was rushing quickly through the express lane at Wal-Mart. Eager to be on my way to the next destination. Counting out the money was I when I saw the next patron behind me. He had two items, a heart shaped box of chocolates, and a Valentine card inscribed with "To my Wife". I smiled inwardly as I saw the two items clutched. I wanted to inquire to him about the special lady who would be given these things on February 14. Imagining in my mind the gaze of love that would pass between them, the kiss would be planted on well used lips.

John Deere baseball cap proudly sat on his head. Dusty work clothes and boots gave for a pretty good presumption he was a farmer. Making me venerate this sweetheart all the more in my mind. Farmer's wives not only marry the handsome farmer in cowboy boots but the farm that beckons early in the morning and late into the night. Yet here they were still celebrating Valentines Day together. Obvious was it from the wrinkles on his brow that this wasn't the first Valentines purchase he had made for his wife. From the slowness in his demeanor there wouldn't be too many more.

The cashier handed me my change and a receipt. I walked out of the store, no longer thinking about my “to do” list but about two aged lovers who knew what true love was. I feel the same pleasure when I saw the Valentine card my mother bought for her lover, my father. The enjoyment I felt when I teased mom and dad about disappearing out for a date for the 4th time in a month. Viewing so much love can only make one want to love those who love each other all the more.

I don't care to day dream about my marriage on its 50th anniversary. Nor carry on in a sappy romance novel. I prefer just to watch the adorable love grow that has been blossoming for years. Truly it’s the most romantic ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you found the card--it is good for children to see the secret love parents have for each other. The best romance is often secret.

Yesterday as I was entertaining the grandchildren for the annual Valentine's Day party, I realzied that in my childhood I thought Valentine's day was for children!!
Maybe that is why I like a party for the children to celebrate the day.

Mom