Monday, February 23, 2009

Don't let your Love Burn Out

Lit Candle
Lit Candle
Everywhere I turned it seemed that everyone was talking about the blockbuster film "Fireproof". To put it mildly people weren't talking they were raving! Even though theaters in my home town are still showing it I never bought a ticket. However I looked forward to watching the DVD. I was skeptical though. Could a movie be really that good? My frugal mind couldn't grasp the fact that people would pay to see it twice. Seriously, they were probably just overrating it.

When everyone is chatting about something you just have to experience so you can have a decent conversation. So I couldn't have been more pleased to watch it with my girl friends the other night.

Great was the sacrifice of giving up two hours of fellowship. It was worth it. Never before has a film impacted my life so greatly. Never.

I wept through moments that should never be. Yet is reality in so many American households. Laughed through the ever strangeness of how our actions appear to others. In between all that I reminded myself to breath during some very intense moments. Stellar acting combined with a breathtaking plot made to be an incredible combination. When it was over I proudly admitted that I had been wrong. Then I added it to the very short list of movies that I recommend.

I don't wear a diamond ring on my left hand, nor do I have anyone to even conceive the idea of giving one to me. Yet as the characters portrayed the story suddenly they weren't actors, they were me. Marriage was the theme but I just the adolescent was learning. As Dennis Rainy put it” somewhere in the story you see yourself".

How often with a radiant smile do I joyfully serve at church putting others in front of myself? Once home it's all me. Good grief I'm tired and have stuff to do. And really girls are emotional so it's okay to get angry and frustrated at those around me.

When we died to Christ that didn't mean just when we are serving Him outside of our home. Usually that's the easy part. Behind closed doors the selfish attitudes sets in before we even know it. Devastating our lives and hurting those most close to us. As so painfully portrayed in “Fireproof”, Caleb and Katharine, the estranged couple, probably didn’t realize where they were sliding until they felt it was too late. Sometimes before you know it you find yourself digging your own grave and standing in the hole. The wrecked lives of Caleb and Katharine weren’t too much for Christ to fix. And He’s waiting to fix ours.

But God commendeth his own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you no matter what! Thanks for sharing!

Mom