Summer this year was long and short at the same time. I worked a job I loved. My job and I got along so well because the people I helped were so encouraging. All the residents held a special place in my heart, but Uncle Ben was no doubt my favorite.
Every day when I went to work my great uncle Ben greeted me with a grin that stretched a mile wide. He told me I was the one who made his day brighter. And he also would say few other things about my looks :)
Uncle Ben would get so excited when I pushed his wheelchair over to the dinning room so he could meet aunt Ellie for supper. He would laugh delightedly when he talked about "his Ellie".
He would always tell everyone with much joy in his voice where I was going to school.
When I was working as a server Aunt Ellie would remind me to give Uncle Ben his favorite strawberry swirl ice cream and usually a big piece dessert.
I loved being around Uncle Ben because it was like being around the grandpa I couldn't remember having.
He reminded me of my grandma, his sister, and I tried to imagine them as youthful children.
Mom told me how when she was a girl she would watch Uncle Ben milk cows and he would tell her about his special girl.
Parkinson's Disease made life hard for Uncle Ben. There wasn't much he could do from his wheelchair and sometimes you couldn't understand his words. Some would say he was just a sick person, but I would say Uncle Ben had a great big purpose in life.
His life was beautiful, because he made life beautiful for me.
This summer was special I got to know my great uncle in ways I had never known him. Every memory I cherish.
I went home last weekend to celebrate the grand occasion of my dad's birthday. I went to work to help with the Saturday morning Bingo. After I made sure every had gotten their chocolate I went to U. Ben's room.
This time uncle Ben wasn't proudly pointing out the pictures of his great grandson who happened to be named after him.
This time I didn't have to find the feet rests for his wheel chair.
This time there was no smile.
There was only breathing, because that was all Uncle Ben's tired body could do. The sound of his breathing was a signal. I've heard too many people breath like that before and a knot of pain lay in my stomach as I listened, but I knew Uncle Ben was on his way home.
I clocked out of work that sunny Saturday afternoon with a heavy heart.
That night the breathing stopped. Mom held me tight and told me her favorite uncle was in heaven.
Next time I'm home I'll clock back in for anther day of work, but something is going to be missing from my world.
Uncle Ben has gone home to heaven and that's exactly where he should be, but I'm always going to miss the gentleman who knew how to make a girl walk a little taller.
No comments:
Post a Comment