Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9.11.01

Today in case you didn't know was an anniversary. Not a wedding anniversary, but the anniversary of one of America's darkest days.

I say in case you didn't know, because there wasn't much talk about remembering. Just another sunny September day. Life was normal today.

Just like that day 12 years ago. Coffee was poured into travel mugs and people went to work and 12 years ago people did the same ritual. I wonder if all those travel mugs desegregated into nothing just like the bodies that were never recovered.

We held tight as a nation in the aftermath. We prayed. We went to church. We sang "God Bless America" till we were blue in the face.

We needed the hope that God was good and in control. We knew our country was in desperate need of prayer, so we prayed.

Our country needs prayer even greater than she did 12 years ago. We are not invincible and we need to trust in the power of God to take us through whatever the future entails.

Remember that today was not another ordinary day for families who lost someone to the attacks.

Remember that while today was a day of remembrance our country needs to be remembered in prayer each and every day.

Remembering where I was that awful day is a vivid memory in my mind. May I remember to pray just as easily as I remember the kitchen table I was sitting at when the lives of so many were abruptly stopped. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for helping us remember that awful day.