I’ve known for a long time that the farm where I cherish many memories will soon no longer be my home. Mom and Dad will be entering a new stage of life soon, one that does not include the farm.
Our farm given to us by God flourished under dad’s care. Long ago are the days where I rode the combine watching the wheat stalks disappear. Faintly I can remember the day it was sold signaling the end of crop production for our farm In more recent thoughts I can still remember feeding the hogs and best of all “sorting” hogs. One of my favorite activates but those soon came to an end as well along with the disappearance of plentiful pork products. Now just a few days ago the last load of cattle made their way to market. Never again will I bottle a baby calf something I never thought I would miss. Hay is being put up thus the old John Deere keeps putting a long. Before long it too will be silent. An era started over 20 years ago is coming to a close.
Change is not something I often welcome. Sometimes I wish mom and dad could live here forever. I imagine bringing home a young man to show the farm. Letting my children see the animals. I want to be able to always walk in the prairie grass letting only the gentle wind fill my ears. Yes I am sad to leave the farm yet I can only look forward to the next home with anticipation.
Though I will remain a farm girl at heart I think the town not so bad. Neighbors will be readily available to reach out too. Convenience will be very nice, who wouldn’t want Wal-Mart at their finger tips? Town streets are rather quiet too and provide ample walking space. Even smooth pavement for bike riding. Best of all I know that where ever my parents dwell it will always be home simply because they are there.
Home is not a farm, place, or house. It’s the place that rings with laughter, jokes, tears, and love. People, the one’s you love turn a cold strange house into a loving home. Naturally I will be sad to leave this house I’ve known for 19 years. I will miss it greatly but will not allow the pain of losing something to overtake the joy of a new thing. Home is not leaving and it never will.
2 comments:
Moving is always difficult in some ways. But, you're right- there are new things on the horizon.
You were given to us in our old age--although it didn't seem that we were really old at the time. And now this is God's plan for your life--that our move comes during the same time that you are beginning your adult life. The Lord will give grace to all of us.
Mom
Post a Comment