Thursday, September 10, 2015

When Sept 10th was normal....

Tomorrow, is the day where we pause. The day we remember and we say to people where we were when it happened. We remember how we watched on live television as the World Trade Center crashed to the ground, taking the lives of countless with it.


We remember when our innocence was taken away.


The horror and the grief that struck our country in the aftermath.


Today is September 10th.  It was a day that happened 14 years ago, and I don't remember much of what I did on Sept 10th. I remember baking a cake and frosting it with cool whip frosting. It was my sister in law's first birthday with our family and my nephew's first birthday in this life.


That is all I remember. I don't remember the school I did. I don't remember the interaction I had with my family. I don't remember the good and I don't remember the bad.


Because it was all so normal. And it is the normal life that gives me amnesia.


 I can remember the way I was hurt by someone or something and choose to feel hurt for years. I will remember that one little thing someone did to make me feel special.


But the normal life that makes up so much of my life. The normal life that is shaping me as a person as I develop routines and hang out with people. Normal is what gets forgotten, even though without the normal, there is not much left to my life. The mile stones shape, but its the normal life that got me there.


It was the normal life knowing the sovereignty of God that carried me through day after Sept 10. It was the normalcy of habits and routines that allowed me to find some sense of being when everything around me was so fearful. It was the normal thing of looking for joy that allowed to have hope again in the months to come.


Normal is not much but on day like Sept 11 it is everything.


 I'm not going to know when I'm having that last normal moment, before things get shaken up. The end to normal comes without warning.


And so its a learning to enjoy the normal. To seize moments of joy. And to love this place called normal.

No comments: