Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A letter from the Aunt

My dear niece,

You turned 12 today. You are 4 months older than I was when you came into this world. I remember because if I had been 4 months older I could have scrubbed my hands for 3 minutes and then crept into the NICU to see you. As it was I had to wait till you got over your small problems and then finally I met you. And oh how I loved holding you. You were tiny and warm and I couldn't get enough of you. When you got a bit older people often confused us when they saw pictures of me when I was a small child.

You are 12 and I was almost 12 when you were born. Little did I know at that time how much my world was changing.

When you turn 12 there is no going back the teenage years are coming upon you and nothing will change stop the storm. I did just use the word storm, because it was a storm.

The year I turned 12 was right after 9-11, it was the year Martin Burnham died, and it was the  year a man in our church died leaving 7 children fatherless.

Maybe if I had been younger those events would have slipped by with me hardly noticing, but no things were starting to happen in my brain and I wasn't sure what to do with the avalanche of emotions.

Terrified at the world around me.

Wondering if I was trying hard enough to be "that good Christan".

So much uncertainty and not enough trust in God.

I sound bleak, as if turning 12 means that there is going to be nothing but dark horribleness for the next few years of your life.

I don't want to sound as one announcing impending doom.

Approaching teenage hood has its pleasant and unpleasant moments, but each moment is necessary. Figuring out how to climb over the boulders is part of life and its all part of the timeline of your life.

And you know becoming a teenager is terrible exciting. More responsibilities and who doesn't like to be marked as responsible? Doing stuff with those big kids and finding your personality.

But can I tell you something?

 I'm sorry for sounding like the wise old aunt, but what else am I for?

Worry less about, friendships, beauty, hurt feelings, but instead...

Trust God.

Know that God is Good.

Know that God is faithful.

Know that God has a plan.

Read your Bible, not because the other girls do but because you want to get know God better. And talk to God. Tell Him what you don't understand about life. Tell Him when its hard to put things into words for others to hear.

When you don't know whether to be happy, sad, or angry talk to God about it. And journal those thoughts, not the thoughts about other people, but all the times God teaches you something. Again a word from the old aunt, you won't regret it.

I'm so thrilled you are 12. You are more beautiful than day you were born. Already you have taken spiritual steps and I'm so excited to watch you grow in a young lady who loves the Lord. Enjoy the adventure is going to be a wild ride in a very wonderful kind of way.

Love,
Your Aunt Beth

P.S. some day when you turn 24 tell me all the things you have learned. I'm quite sure I will be able learn something from you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bethanne, We have passed on your letter to the now, 12 year old!