
I awoke the morning of my birthday hearing my mother sing “Happy Birthday”. Perhaps that was one of the few times I thought about my 18th birthday. More importantly on my mind was that my big brother would be getting married that day. Though he would never remember my birthday, he would give me the most special present. A big sister.
Wearing the blue satin bridesmaid dress I prepared to make my way down the aisle. Hoping I wouldn’t trip in the new heals. Thankful my hair do was perfectly in place thanks to a great deal of hair spray. I could hardly believe it was here. Seven months of waiting to know. Then 5 months of preparation. My brother was getting a wife and I had gained a friend. My future sister Mary had always wanted a little sister. I had always wanted a big sister. So when my brother found his match, inadvertently one was found for me.
My three big brothers stood as groom, best man, and groomsman. Oh they were all so handsome. I smiled at them as I walked down the aisle. Arlen the groom did not smile broadly, that was for his bride. Moments later Mary was standing before Arlen as “How great thou Art” was sung. Yes, great was our God that brought these two together.
Throughout the ceremony I could hardly contain my smile. This was my brother getting married. Hearing the vows with my own ears made it so very true. I fairly beamed as they were pronounced “man and wife”. Whirlwind reception later and they were gone in their hot mustang. Only a lifetime of memories was beginning. I would never forget the day I got a sister.
No comments:
Post a Comment