This week wasn't quite what I expected, wanted, and never would have begged for.
Aches, and fever and laying on the couch for days. It's not my idea of a good time.
As a child I could watch movies and shows for hours when I was sick. Now as an adult it seems my brain begs for silence more than the entertainment. I watch the cooking shows and other random stuff but I'm thankful for a good book, rest, and just the quiet.
The days seem to stretch and the nights seem even longer. The unending hours of nothing to do to rest can't be glamorized. Because I want to be back at my job. Because I want to be up and working around the house. Because I don't want to be canceling a get together with friends.
I usually covet a afternoon to just read and be quiet, but this week there was too many hours in a row to just be quiet.
I fought it and begged the thermometer to read a lower number, but still I was sick.
It sounds awful except it really isn't. I was sick for three days and one night. Today I know my health is seeping back in my veins. Its awful to be sick, but not so awful as battling sickness every day of your life. Not so awful as chronic illness, cancer, and other life altering problems. It was just a virus that has altered my life for 5 days not for years.
So being sick, its a good thing. I did enjoy reading more, because I love reading and it was fun to catch some shows.
Perhaps the best thing was to know, that my plans are not my own. When plans are taken away I can still know its the right thing. Because I have to remember to never get so caught up in the moments of life that I forget the privilege of the ability to do and to be. To realize that an extra rest is a gift and not to let the idea of rest be stolen by attitude of grumbling, but enjoy what God has given.
Today it is so good to be well, but yesterday it was good to be sick for that was what yesterday was supposed to be. And being is not that terrible because in the security of God its the most amazing place to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment