A letter to pastors,
October is pastor appreciation month, a holiday which probably could fall in the same category as mothers day in the fact we need to be appreciating our pastors every day not just one month of the year.
Truthfully while I may think about the appreciation I have for my pastor I may not always state the words and so this month gives me the direly needed kick in the pants to do what I should have done long ago.
Let me just thank you for doing your job well.
You are the who one who not only has to spend hours researching a sermon, but you are the one who has dropped everything at a moment's notice to tend to a parishioner.
You are the one always available to listen. Sitting in sterile hospital waiting rooms drinking stale coffee you pray for the hurting. You are the one meeting with members of your flock in the early in the morning for coffee.
You are the one hastily making copies of the Sunday bulletin 10 minutes before Sunday school when you could be brushing up on your sermon.
You are the one who teaches the Sunday school class, preaches the sermon, greets the congregation, preaches at the nursing home, and then preaches a final time in the evening.
You are the one who people admire how easy of a job you must have to only have to prepare sermons and preach, but you are the one who maybe will have Monday off, but will work hard core all the rest of the week and hope you will be ready for Sunday.
You are the one who has slaved over a sermon for hours, only to watch someone in your congregation sleep through the entire message.
You are the pastor of the tiny congregation, where you not only preach, but also organize the social events, clean the church when the janitor is sick...you are the glue that keeps the church running.
You are the one locking yourself away on Saturday night while your children play and your friends socialize.
And I just have to say thank you.
For preaching those words that pricked my heart. For taking time to search the scriptures and not just taking the easy route.
Thank you for preaching words that shaped my worldview.
I know you have faults. You have the same sin nature I have, but thank you for admitting your mistakes and for continually striving for Christ likeness.
I know you have good Sundays and bad Sundays, but I also know you trust God who is going to use everything you do.
To you my pastor, the one using the gift God has given you to teach and exhort. The one who is taking a risk by preaching the words you know are truth, but may cause a stir in the congregation. You are the one who is not any different than the rest of us, but is simply using the gifts God has given you.
Thank you for not be silent, but for serving God first and those around you next.
A special thank you to every pastor who has been a part of my life. You know who you are, but you don't know that you have been God's instrument in my life. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment