Tuesday, August 10, 2010

In Which I Ride a Ferris Wheel

This past few days I have been on many adventures. Most of them go no further than kitchen and involve lots of dirty dishes. Why is this not surprising? The other day I had particularly grand adventure on top of a Ferris wheel, located of all places, in a sports store.

I was eagerly anticipating the theme park ride and eagerly volunteered to ride two full rounds with my cousin Steve. What I did not realize was just how high the Ferris wheel went. Suddenly, and I mean very suddenly I found myself perched all of three stories in the air. I might also mention the ride was stopped at a complete halt. Lest I make this seem more dramatic than it was...we were only stopped to unload and reload riders. Heights were not really something I was ever fond of, so it felt like we were sitting 30 stories high for a exuberantly long time.

Focus, I needed something to steal my attention away from smashing into a million pieces on top of NE Corn Husker shirts. My gaze fell upon the sign just ahead me; which read "Danger do not Rock Seat". After that a slightest shift of our seat sent my heart into a turmoil.

Suddenly I noticed my feet were very wet from sweat. I know there is a better way to describe bodily fluids, but I can't spell it. But I digress. Dripping were my hands and Steve's hand wasn't exactly dry either because I was holding it very tight. Yes the one good thing about the ride, well I suppose one of the good things, was that I could hold cousin Steve's hand very tight and He didn't mind a bit.

Things surely couldn't get any worse, but they did. Suddenly I began to feel a bit faint. I knew this was a problem, because well fainting on a Ferris wheel while hovering 3 stories in the air is probably not a good idea. Fainting is best done when there is somebody tall and strong nearby to catch you. Preferably person whom your parents and brothers happen to also like. Ahem.

So I decided to not faint. Instead I sat back and enjoyed the remainder of the ride, but I didn't once let go of Steve's hand. Though it might have slipped out a time or two due to all the wetness.

I found the next stop of the evening more to my enjoyment. Though anything with chocolate and ice cream always wins with me. I'm sure I'll ride a Ferris wheel again, but I won't do it without somebody to hold my hand.

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

You thing! :) Glad you enjoyed the rest of the day though!
Pardon me if the term you used is American, but I thought that it's called a 'Ferris' wheel, not 'Farris' wheel??

Bonnie said...

whoops, I meant to say 'you poor thing', lol...

Bekah said...

Ah ha ha ha! Oh Bethanne, you have such a way with words! I laughed very hard!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh for the day!

Sorry about passing on my genes to you about not liking high rides.

Mom

Unknown said...

haha, Bethanne.. you made me snicker at work :) cutie patootie... :D

Mandy said...

This made me laugh!! I'm scared of heights too, so I understand how you felt. = )